Why I use supermarket self-checkouts

 

by Helen Said, Autistic advocate, Melbourne, Australia

Autistics live in a world that wasn't designed for us, shopping centres and supermarkets being a prime example. In many shops, music is blaring, lights are harsh and bright, shelves are crammed and over-stimulating and crowds and obstacles are everywhere. Although I like shopping, I often need to get out of the shops as quickly as possible to preserve my physical and mental energy for the rest of the day.

The self-checkout gives me, as an Autistic shopper, a break. The self checkout area is much quieter and roomier than the rest of the shop. I am not forced to socially engage with a cashier if I don't feel up to it. I can stand by myself, arrange my own shopping in my own bags and go home. 

Queueing up to pay a cashier is seen by some as taking a noble stand to save cashiers' jobs. Some of us have very tired feet by the end of a shop, especially Autistics who quite commonly have low muscle tone or flat feet. 

Packing groceries into shopping bags is also considered to be work that should be done by a paid worker, but for me, arranging shopping in bags is a something I quite like doing (think - Autistic kids lining things up), and I don't like a cashier taking over this task. 

During covid lockdowns, and for years afterwards, I bought my groceries online. I paid an annual subscription fee, a (paid) personal shopper chose my items and a (paid) truck driver delivered them. This was a practical way for me, as an Autistic, to do my grocery shopping while I was still in the workforce, and it created many retail jobs. 

Obviously, online, home delivered shopping provides many more retail jobs than in-store shopping, even when in-store shoppers pay a cashier at the register. I have never heard an anti self-checkout crusader tell shoppers to go home and do home delivered online grocery shopping, to create even more retail jobs. These advocates (mostly neurotypicals) want to have a chat to the cashier, and other shoppers, in store. They don't want to give up shopping their way, for the sake of retail jobs. 

I would now ask anti-self checkout cusaders to extend that understanding to people who use the self-checkouts. We don't want to give up shopping our way for the sake of retail jobs either. Self-checkouts meet some people's accessibility needs. Will neurotypicals ever understand why I like arranging my own groceries in my own shopping bags, instead of letting a paid worker do this? I don't care really, they can shop their way and I will shop my way.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autistics must oppose Pauline Hanson’s One Nation

White Autistics, please discuss your sensory aversions to our foods respectfully

Deconstructing the Trump – RFK Hatred Epidemic